SKI CERRO LÓPEZ
It is love at first sight when backcountry skiers set their eyes on Cerro Lopez. This mountain can be seen from many places in Bariloche, and it is known for it’s majestic open bowl.
Your mountain guide will take you to excellent ski touring terrain accessed by a one hour hike in with your skis on your pack. There is wide spread tree skiing with the perfect angle: around 25 to 35 degrees. Cerro Lopez is in the Nahuel Huapi National Park, and it is one of the best tree skiing areas in Bariloche, Argentina! Super fun you can enjoy even if it’s not a bluebird day!
Summiting Cerro Lopez is a perfect full ski touring day. There are great views from the top of the Andes Range, Mt Tronador, and other volcanoes in Chile. The ski descent from the summit takes you over a perfect sequence of domes with different aspects and angles.
Cerro Lopez has some serious terrain for expert backcountry skiers including some hidden valleys with chutes and steeps. You can connect 3 valleys in a long touring day.
Avalanche danger is definitely a hazard to consider on this mountain. This is all dependent on conditions, wind load, and how the snowpack has developed throughout the season.
We strongly recommend to hire a Professional IFMGA UIAGM Mountain Guide.
This gear list is designed for Day Ski Trips in the mountains- We are including Glacier Gear that is applied to all Alps and Antarctica Ski trips but not for the Patagonian Trips, so just send us a quick email to don’t overpack
- General Ski Clothing
- Backpack 30-35 lts
- Quick dry pants with Schoeller material (North face, Mammut or similar)
- Merino wool long underwear
- Water proof Goretex pants
- 1 pair of long ski sintethic socks
- T shirt- Capilene or Merino wool ideal
- Thin fleece, like Patagonia R1 or similar with a hood ideal
- Mid fleece layer or synthetic Jacket with some insulation
- Down jacket or warm puffy
- Water proof Goretex jacket
- Thin Fleece gloves for skinning or waiting in belays
- Thick ski gloves
- Warm hat
- Sun hat
- Sunglasses with UV filter + Goggles
- Sun screen and lipstick
- Iphone/ Ipod music player/ Camara- optional
- Pocket knife
- Waterbottle Nalgene or similar
- Thermos 0.5 lts ideal for warm drinks
- Telemark, Split board or ski touring skis and bindings
- Ski, Telemark or Snowboard boots
- Telemark, Snowboard or ski touring boots
- Shovel, Beacon and probe
- Ski crampons mandatory specially in the spring (ask us)
- Ski poles
For Glacier terrain
- 2 Locking binners
- Boot Crampons
- Ice Axe