BAGUALES SKI DAYS
A five star Lodge with five stars Patagonian Ski Terrain
Baguales Mountain Reserve is a Private Mountain Reserve ideal for winter activities, it is in the heart of Northern Patagonia, just in the frontier with Nahuel Huapi National Park Unique setting.
Driving from San Carlos de Bariloche through the Route 40 for 40 km we will find the entrance to this magic Ski Reserve.
Its located a bit away from the main lakes, which helps in quality of Patagonian Snow.
Mountains in the area are around 2000 mts, with the highest Cerro Villegas of 2400 mts.
The area offers several valleys with all kind of ski terrain, as treeskiing, steeps, couloirs, open faces and is settled perfectly to take advantage of the south aspect and colder snow.
The Mountains of Baguales area belong to the pre-andes range which holds a intercontinental snowpack instead of maritime snowpack as most of the Andes. So this helps for better snow quality.
Baguales offers a great infrastructure for helping uiagm-ifmga guides to move around the mountains with a radio repeater system and logistics for safety (snowmobile help, etc)
The Reserve has several huts.
We mainly focus in 2 of them what holds the best ski terrain.
La Mesada Lodge:
Right at 1700mts where the ski party starts, from here starts the best Backcountry Skiing that Baguales has to offer, right in front of Cerro Villegas, close to Cerro Ciruela and other peaks. From this Fancy Ski Lodge we start our adventure. This lodge can be totally compared to a classic ski Lodge in British Columbia
The lodge holds 20 guests with the option of a main room shared or you can get your own private room as well.
Villegas hut at the base of Valle Norte, in the very eastern side of the Villegas mini-massiff!
Provides lodging for 10 guests. A nice cozy cabin
Cat Skiing option:
From here also starts the Cat Skiing operation that you can use as well. We at andescross dont like much the mechanized help, but we can help you in setting up a Cat Skiing days.
Days in Baguales goes as:
Drive from Bariloche to the mountains for hour and a half, then access Four wheel drive terrain for 14 km , then short snowmobile ride to get to the hut. Easy access to this remote location. And we are already at 1700mts in a Fancy Cozy Lodge.
Breakfast, skis ready and start exploring for the next days we have ahead.
Normally we do in between 1000 meters to 1500meters elevation gain skiing til our legs are tired.
Rest in the evening, play guitar, get some nice malbec, listen to bad jokes (really bad normally 🙂 ) , relax enjoy the fire, read a book, eat, sleep and next day start again.
Endless options so enough typing and lets go skiing!!!
This gear list is designed for Haute Route in the Alps, Hut to Hut trips in Patagonia, Frey Hut Skiing or any Multiday Mountain Ski Trip
- Backpack 35-40 lts
- Sleeping bag ideal 600/700 grams of down fill
- 2 pairs of sintethic socks (like Columbia or similar)
- Quick dry pants with Schoeller material (North face, Mammut or similar)
- Merino wool long underwear
- Water proof Goretex pants
- T shirt- Capilene or Merino wool ideal
- Thin fleece, like Patagonia R1 or similar with a hood ideal
- Mid fleece layer or synthetic Jacket with some insulation
- Down jacket or warm puffy
- Water proof Goretex jacket
- Thin Fleece gloves for skinning or waiting in belays
- Thick ski gloves
- Warm hat
- Sun hat
- Sunglasses with UV filter + Goggles
- Sun screen and lipstick
- Iphone/ Ipod music player- optional
- Earplugs… very recommended (for Mt huts, windy days in tents)
- Tooth brush and paste
- Headlamp (Petzl Tikka plus, Black diamond or similar)
- Pocket knife
- Waterbottle Nalgene or similar
- Thermos 0.5 liters ideal for warm drinks
For Ski Trips:
- Telemark, Split board or ski touring skis and bindings
- Ski, Snowboard or Telemark boots
- Telemark, Snowboard or ski touring boots
- Shovel, Beacon and probe
- Boot Crampons and ice axe
- Ski crampons mandatory specially in the spring
- Ski poles
- 2 Locking binners
(Minimum 2 skiers)
USD 890 per person for 2 days
USD 1400 per person for 3 days
USD 1500 per person for 4 days
Each Extra day cost per person USD 450 pp a day including guiding, meals and 4* lodging
All meals & accommodation in the Ski Lodge
UIAGM-IFMGA mountain guide
Not includes drinks & Cat Skiing (optional)
In winter season every day on request
IS RECOMMENDED BY